Marriage/Couples Counselling & Psychotherapy Re-Ignite the passion
Einstein’s Theory of Insanity. “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
Does this sound familiar in your relationship?
Couples therapy is available in my Brisbane bayside rooms, located in Capalaba and coming shortly to Wynnum. My counselling style is solution focused, finding and healing the core issues, then both parties can have a new perception of themselves, each other and continue to develop a mutually satisfying and loving relationship.
When there is a problem within an intimate relationship, usually the core of these issue/s started well before the individuals became a couple, either in childhood or its a systemic issue. The issues can become more apparent when the couples experience life stressors, such as financial, parenting styles or illness etc.
Reasons why people seek Marriage Counselling
- Over time, your relationship has changed and instead of growing together you are growing apart
- Financial or emotional stress has created areas of conflict that you are unable to resolve
- Infidelity has caused the loss of trust in your marriage
- You struggle to communicate with each other and often argue
- You have reached a stage in life where you feel you no longer have any shared interests
- You have parenting issues
- There is a lack of intimacy
- There are no healthy boundaries
- Anger is affecting your relationship
- Past trauma/events are still coming between you
Zero to Seven years of age creates the foundation of a person’s life and their perceived identity in the world, it’s like an imprint on how a person perceives life based on previous experiences. A persons previous experience does influence how their current reality is viewed. And you can appreciate that we all have had our own past experience there are no two realities that are the same. Even siblings who have been raised in the same home by the same parents can and do have a completly different perception towards life. This can affect belief systems, values, perceptions.
Couples therapy focus on.
- Past traumas and triggers, including childhood and negative experience’s
- What are your needs and how to achieve them
- How to communicate affectively
- How to develop and sustain a loving relationship
- How to easily make your partner feel loved
- Understand and listen to each other
My Role as a Couples Therapist
I AM HIGHLY DISCREET AND WILL SUPPORT YOU THROUGHOUT EACH STEP OF THE COUPLES / MARRIAGE COUNSELLING PSYCHOTHERAPY PROCESS, TO HELP YOU TO:
- Support and listen to each other
- Make decisions and develop problem-solving skills
- Communicate effectively
- Change negative patterns
- Understand what each partner’s needs are and how to meet them
- Know values in a relationship
- Become more present in a relationship
- Understand the masculine and feminine roles within your relationship
- Increase intimacy
- Create a life plan together
- Know how your childhood could be affecting your marriage
WHAT HAPPENS IN COUPLES / MARRIAGE COUNSELLING, PSYCHOTHERAPY?
Both partners have an opportunity to speak and disclose their view on what is their issue in the marriage/relationship. Each partner will be listened to equally with respect and understanding in a non judgemental environment. After the initial session as a couple each partner may be seen individually, then come back as a couple.
Why individually? When one person makes a commitment to another there also needs to be a level of understanding that the person chosen does have a past and past events and situations do determine the present. This means that the reason why we have issues in the relationship may come from past situations and with one or two individual and confidential sessions, awareness and change may occur and this can be the start of a new and different relationship for you and your partner.
Having a happy marriage is like having a mechanically sound car, if you give it a regular tune up, make sure its needs are met like oil and water then it should run smoothly for many miles to come.
However if your marriage is neglected, on the “to do” list then you may become stuck, stranded on the side of the road. It wasn’t given the little tune ups along the way and now its possibly unfixable; You get out of your relationship what you put in. Yes, its work and it may be difficult to come to a stranger to help you. But with commitment and my expertise, your relationship could be everything you want it to be.
“Pearls don’t lie on the sea-shore if you want one you must dive for it”